Saturday, May 26, 2007

Meet Henry Syverson



Syverson is one of my all-time favorite print cartoonists and a huge influence. Back before I could read I looked forward to his ebullient wordless gags in SATURDAY EVENING POST magazine. There his bulb-nosed figures adorned the masthead and margins of the "Post Script" humor section, sort of like a G-rated Sergio Arragones. Anyone who has seen the "You want it WHEN??!" gag posted in a print shop will recognize Syverson's work, (the picture shows three figures convulsed in derisive laughter and if it isn't Syverson, it's a perfect imitation).

His style is all his own, but it seems to combine the emotional directness of Robert Osborn, the doughy charm of Walt Kelly, and the spontaneous vitality of Lee Lorenz all at once. I will post more as I go along. The more I look at them the more I love 'em.

8 comments:

perkypickle said...

william...

consider your bloggin' cherry, popped!

welcome to the time suckin' vortex!

mark kennedy said...

Hey Will, glad to see you blogging, can't wait to see what you're going to write about.

Eddie Fitzgerald said...

I like this artist too! It's nice to see him get some recognition!

Will Finn said...

Thanks Uncle Eddie. We've never met but I'm a fan of your work and your blog. I'm linkin' to it here whether you like it or not!!!

Syverson rules. Glad you like him too. I got plenty more coming up.

Thanks also to Dave, Jordan and Mark for being among the first to stumble into the small room. Here's hoping it gets bigger.

USA WEEKEND said...

I almost never leave comments on blogs, but I have to give you kudos for your excellent taste in remembering Henry Syverson. He was definitely one of the best, which makes it that much more frustrating to see how little his work is known now. I stumbled on your blog by way of Amid's CartoonBrew. Great start. Keep up the good work.

DON LIN said...

Thanks so much for introducing me to Henry Syverson's cartoons.
Brilliant

exchief64 said...

Hank and his wife were best friends with my parents when I was growing up. we have many xmas cards from hank that are one of kind never published cartoons. He was always at our house on xmas and many other holidays, where he would get many inspirations for his drawings.. it is nice to see him get some press.

Will Finn said...

Thanks Exchief! Glad to hear from someone who knew Mr. Syverson personally. He is a lifelong favorite who embodies the essence of good cartooning to me.

If you ever consider posting some of his artwork online, let us know and I will link to it.

Cheers!