Friday, May 25, 2007

A site for soreheads


When a topic, style or bit consistently only works for a small segment of the audience, stage comedians and other live performers will say it "plays to a small room." This isn't exactly a compliment, but it isn't the same as saying it thoroughly stinks either. Some people like it, maybe even love it, but when the majority has spoken such material usually gets consigned to the reject pile in favor of something more generally acceptable. For we who work in the high stakes game of big-budget animated features, playing to a small room is not an option (I've got the scars to prove it) but I'll always have a soft spot for the off-beat, the quirky and the hard to categorize. Thank goodness for the web, where such stuff can find a home and like-minded friends to share it with.

My hope here is to post thoughts, anecdotes, original sketches and share art and other influences that inspired me to seek a career as a cartoonist in the first place.

Welcome to my small room.

9 comments:

D.T. Nethery said...

Yay! Will's blogging.

samacleod said...

Awesome.

Rusty Mills said...

Hey will, long time no see. I look forward to seeing your posts. I ran into John Howley last year at Disney and remembered the time the three of us spent in the same cubicle at Filmation. I'll never forget the rubberband cameraman sketches. Welcome to the blogging fold

Amy said...

Welcome, sir! I'm a long-time fan and can't wait to see what wisdom/coffee talk/neat drawings you have to share :)

Jeff said...

Hey Will! Awesomeness! I will add you to the links!

handel said...

Hiya, Welcome to the cut throat, dog eat dog,cat scratch cat,peanut meets butter, ham on rye world of blogging.
I look forward to seeing your bwain work.

Clio said...

You had me at this scribble!

Ichabod said...

Great to see you have started a blog. I'm really looking forward to hearing some of your anecdotes. Particularly about your work on Home on the Range and it's evolution! I know most don't really hold it in very high regard, but I find it to be a gem of a movie! I'll look forward to reading your posts.

Will Finn said...

Wow! Thanks for stopping by everybody.

Rusty-Hello again! (& who could forget John. Howley?)

Clio-I've been a fan since DRAWN! posted your links-Fantastic artwork! Always a joy.

Ichabod- Glad you liked HOME (or as I always call it "THE COW MOVIE"). My most favorite stories to tell are about being a character animator and eternal student; gaining insight thru advice and (more often) mistakes. I'd feel funny in a solo forum discussing directing experiences when any of my directing partners (all good friends) are elsewhere. Maybe we'll co-blog someday!

Thanks also D.T, Sam, Amy, Handel and Jeff!