Sunday, July 29, 2007

A post-Post post




John K has posted some outstanding comic book art by Harvey cartoon animator, director and comic artist HOWIE POST. We were talking about him awhile back and how generally unknown and under-rated he is. I mentioned this comic strip I remembered called THE DROP-OUTS and promised to publish a couple examples and here they are...

Back when other kids were attending Weblos, football games and anti-Nixon marches, I was in my room pasting up favorite Sunday comics likes these from the Syracuse Herald-Examiner into my scrapbook. THE DROP-OUTS came on the scene around 1970 and didn't run for too long but I liked it. It was basically about two beachcombers stranded on a deserted island. One of them was named "Sandy" (the little one, I think) but I forget the other guy's name. It was kind of a two-man GILLIGAN'S ISLAND. I always wondered if the working title had been THE CASTAWAYS, (which seems more appropriate) but some long-haired editor at the syndicate came up with DROP-OUTS to make it more Timothy Leary-esque. If it did actually go down that way, it was a vain attempt to make hippies read mainstream media.

These drawings are not typical of Howie Post's comic book style, but they are nice and expressive, I think. I wish I had more to scan but they seem to have been lost to the ages. Click the panels to see bigger.

7 comments:

Tim said...

I remember these guys. Didn't they have a short stint on a Saturday morning show? They didn't have their own show, but if I recall, they had brief interstitials on some other show... like Broom Hilda or something.
That's going to bug me until I figure it out.
Anyway, as usual, the strips were far superior to the animated offerings.

John S. said...

Whao!! Some one else remembers "The Drop-Outs"?
This strip ran in "The Rocky Mountain News" when I was a kid. I had no idea that the same Howie Post did those Harvey comics. Hmm. Interesting. Did they ever do a book collection?

Pete Emslie said...

I must admit, I prefer the Harvey comics examples of Post's work that John featured on his blog. These comic strip characters of his own design seem somewhat inspired by Johnny Hart's "B.C." strip, but a little less appealing. Still, it's interesting to see that he had some variety of style in his art.

Will Finn said...

i don't think they were ever collected but Tim might be right about some animation, (possibly by filmation, who also did broom hilda).

these are admittedly less disneyesque than the harvey comics but there is still some nice appeal to them. in reference to the "B.C." era of comics i read somewhere once that Charles Schulz ruefully noted that the (deceptive) simplicity of PEANUTS "made the comics safe for bad drawing". it is sadly true, but the DROPOUTS aren't the worst of the lot by a long shot. I remember one horrible strip about a mayor called HIZZONOR hat has to be one of the lamest comics ever.

if you google post's name and the dropouts together there i saw a link recently with some originals dailies for sale.

top_cat_james said...

tim,will,
They were on "Archie's T.V. Funnies" CBS 1971-72.

Jenny said...

I remember this strip! Wow. I kid myself that I even remember that panel at the top. Probably wildy unlikely, but still...between your posts and Jeff Pidgeon posting pics of old strange toys I'd forgotten from babyhood my head's going to explode. In a good way, of course.

Bill Field said...

I never realized they were shipwrecked, I just always thought they were just hippy dips who quit school- I guess it had something to do with living in Hawaii at the time. Archie's TV Funnies had Dick Tracy in his own cartoons w/o his UPA sidekicks, GoGo Gomez, Joe Jitsu, and the rest. Too bad UPA didn't just do a straight strip adaptation.