Tuesday, March 17, 2009

King of the real "Guys & Dolls"



Jason Lethcoe lent me a DVD of the documentary TOOTS, a biography of "Toots" Shor, the wise-cracking self-titled "saloon keeper" who's New York City watering hole was the epitome of Runyonland in the 1940's and 50's. His devoted patrons included Frank Sinatra, Jackie Gleason, Joe DiMaggio, and a host of the most legendary news writers, politicians, sports figures and entertainers of the day. After a few minutes of watching archival footage and photos of Toots' towering gargantuan frame and mobile putty face, I was unable to resist sketching a couple of caricatures. An entertaining way to celebrate St. Patrick's day in the old fashioned New York way. Highly recommended. (Thanks Jason!)

My real-life mid-day was spent in more sober surroundings around Burbank, where I got together with Sherm Cohen for lunch. After enjoying his work on SPONGEBOB and other shows, as well as his great blog, it was nice to find an hour in both our busy schedules to grab some sheherd's pie and talk shop. See you on the internets, Sherm.

5 comments:

pud said...

thanks for this Will.
I discover more cool sites through the links you post!

-mark

Sherm said...

Hey Will -- that lunch was a lot of fun...If it weren't for timeclocks and deadlines I think we'd still be at that table gabbing away!

Jason Lethcoe said...

All I can say is that I wish I could have been there! Great sketches, Will.

Ralph said...

I recently came across your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I don't know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Ruth

http://systemmemory.info

sdfsdagsagasgas said...

花蓮民宿,SEO,104人力銀行,汽車旅館,阿里山,日月潭,阿里山民宿,東森購物,momo購物台,pc home購物,網路購物,手機,手機王,數位像機,衛星導航,GPS,小筆電,機油漢高資訊,漢高資訊,在職進修,漢高資訊,在職進修,住宿,住宿,整形,造型,室內設計,室內設計,漢高資訊,在職進修,漢高資訊,在職進修,住宿,美容,室內設計,在職進修,羅志祥,周杰倫,五月天,住宿,住宿,整形,整形,室內設計,室內設計,比利時聯合商學院,在職進修,比利時聯合商學院,在職進修,漢高資訊,找工作,找工作,找工作,找工作,找工作,蔡依林,林志玲,政治大學,政治大學,政治大學,政治大學,政治大學,非凡美食大探索,非凡美食大探索,非凡美食大探索,非凡美食大探索,非凡美食大探索