Tuesday, August 4, 2009

SAM LEVINE / PITTSBURGH


The 2006 movie PITTSBURGH has at least four things to recommend it:

1. It stars Jeff Goldblum
2.It's an improvisational "reality comedy" about Goldblum traveling to Pittsburgh, his hometown to star in a regional production of THE MUSIC MAN.
3. I lived in Pittsburgh from 1976 to 1978 and loved it.
4. I also like THE MUSIC MAN, but have a hard time still picturing Goldblum as Harold Hill.

I just rented this offbeat little indie movie on Netflix and I found it very enjoyable. Kind of like a cross between WAITING FOR GUFFMAN and CURB YOUR ENTHUSIASM: it's an entirely improvised and somewhat fictionalized story, but everyone in it portrays their actual selves and the stage production is for real. The result is that rare thing: a documentary doubling as a comedy. Very funny and quirky, like Goldblum himself. See it before he falls off a New Zealand cliff.


Here's something entirely unrelated to recommend also: My friend SAM LEVINE has a blog and why shouldn't he? Sam's a talented artist, writer and voice actor all rolled into one. He is putting up pixilated pictures and funny videos, probably as we speak. Visit soon and check him out.


4 comments:

Sam Levine said...

Thanks Will :-) Never been to Pittsburgh so that post title is funny. My blog is very silly so far, we'll see what it turns into....

Sam Levine said...

I did see Pittsburgh, it was cool. I found the moments before Jeff went onstage horribly uncomfortable. He was so nervous. Haven't seen that kind of thing on film before. Cool movie for that. And cool for someone as accomplished as Goldblum to show real vulnerability onscreen like that. Good film. :-)

Floyd Norman said...

Hey Will, I had never been to Pittsburgh either, but I finally got there last summer. It was great, and I really enjoyed the city. Almost didn't want to leave.

I love to park the car and walk around. I find I see a good deal more that way.

Elliot Cowan said...

This is a terrific film - I caught it at 3 in the morning some months back...