Sunday, December 6, 2009

Henry Syverson animals





From "Aesop's Fables" -- The lion and the ox. (1968)

One of the qualities I find magnetic about Syverson (and many others) is the spontaneous feel of his art. The more you could add to these drawings, the more they might lose. I think that's one of the things I enjoyed most about the "xerox era" of hand-drawn animation: the drawings could be loose enough to still show erasures and not even have to be "closed off" (in the digital era, this became basically impossible). Those little gaps of freedom in the lines still make me smile. Probably because I am prone to draw that way myself all the time. I have always found it very tedious to close off every area of a drawing, and can't do it reliably well without stiffening things up.

The other quality Syverson's work typifies for me is simplicity. Simplicity is one of the most difficult things to achieve and has as much to do with knowing what to leave out entirely (and what to merely imply) as it has to do with what to leave in.

One of my favorite quotes ever:

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but not one bit simpler." - A. Einstein

9 comments:

ThomasHjorthaab said...

WOw these are great! especially the second one... the energy, wow!

Willem Wynand said...

these are beautiful, solid drawings and simplicity =) thanx for sharing

Rachel said...

always love the Syverson you post, thanks for sharing, Will. And it was a REAL treat to see that Mel Brooks dialog you animated. not only executed technically well, but also really FUNNY. man, i'd love to get on a project and learn from you how you get these great results. you rule, will!

chrisallison said...

Ack, that was me on my girlfriend's account. Keep the sketches coming, Will!

Eric Noble said...

I love the energy of the drawings. I don't see that in many cartoonists work today (at least the published ones). Henry Syverson also draws in an appealing style, which probably comes from his training at the Disney Studio.

Great post.

Peter Song said...

wow you have many nice stuff here!

Bob and Rob Professional American Writers said...

As you know we have no knowledge of the art world...but, these are pretty drawings none-the-less! Just an excuse to drop by and say hi!

Hope you're well, Will. Oh, thanks for the link!

Cheers, Bob & Rob

Mike Caracappa said...

Has Syversons stuff ever been animated? Was he ever involved with animation in general, even if it might have been in story? I love his characters, and his line quality is so fun and spontaneous.

Will Finn said...

Mike C - I have never seen any animation based on his work, but he did work at Disney before WW II, on SNOW WHITE and PINOCCHIO, according to one of the few short bio's I could find.

Glad people enjoy these, this stuff was a huge influence on me from the very earliest days. Click on the tag below the post and check out more.

Hi all... more this weekend...