Monday, October 18, 2010

Two of my favorite sources of inspiration

I met MIKE SMITH about a dozen years ago, thru my good pal Rej Bourdages. Mike is a wonderfully talented guy: a human tsunami of a dizzying variety of styles and ideas. I watched him storyboard a soft drink ad featuring a giant monster skulking thru a city and I could not get over how seemingly effortless he made it all look... I discovered a his website awhile back and got back in touch, glad to know he is as brilliant as ever...

One of the music videos Mike directed and designed for George Thurogood is a classic example of Mike's dazzling style, and it also happens to feature animation that I suspected could have only been done by another friend, colleague and source of endless inspiration: DAVE FEISS. I caught up with Dave for lunch a month ago or so and it turns out he indeed collaborated with Mike on the video. Of course Dave is best known for his hilariously demented COW & CHICKEN series from CN, but I will never forget spotting some earlier standout comic book work he did for the series THE MAXX, where he ghosted a dream sequence, (turns out THE MAXX creator is a relative of Dave's and they jammed together just for fun.)  I finally got to work with Dave a few years ago and the whole time I was almost dizzy with admiration for him. A genuine cartoonists' cartoonist if ever there was one.

5 comments:

Mike said...

Mike's music videos left me floored. Trippy backgrounds and linework, funny designs, hyperkinetic animation (on twos!). All the good qualities of every flawed, post-Ren & Stimpy cartoon I consumed as a kid, together at once. Plus, having seen 1001 Nights, and now being able to tie his name to the wacky and hyper-realistic stuff...well, "what CAN'T he do?" is my primary question.

I just wish there were more of Dave Feiss' work about, but I've found bits and pieces: the bulldog in Big House Blues (courtesy John K's blog), the hilarious Chee-tos spots from about ten years ago. All great, of course. Thanks for sharing!

Mick said...

that reminds me that I must try harder

Rooniman said...

Mike Smith and Dave Feiss, two powerhouse talents I adore.

Floyd Norman said...

Awesome dudes. They make me feel lazy.

Amir Avni said...

Great post, Will!
I remember seeing a clip of Mike Smith's video on E Entertainment's Animation special back in the 90s.
We've had the great pleasure of hearing Rej Bourdages give a few lectures at Sheridan in 2006, he's such an inspiring guy!