Tuesday, November 30, 2010

OSS-117:LOST IN RIO

Looks like 2010 is my year to catch up with French-language films, with the animated A TOWN CALLED PANIC being a recent favorite, and a huge hit with my kids.

OSS-117:LOST IN RIO is not animation but it's star Jean Dujardin has managed to breathe new life into the James Bond parody genre (something I would not have thought possible at this late stage) and having watched it today on Netflix, I recommend it for it's startlingly precise 1960's Kodachrome visuals and it's antic (and admittedly hit-and-miss) grab-bag style of wildly inappropriate humor. It's been a long time since a movie made me actually glad to be alive, but this one did it. I guess it's the second in the series and I am working up the courage to see the first one (NEST OF SPIES) hoping I won't be disappointed.  Check it out if you don't mind subtitles and like a good laugh.

9 comments:

Mike said...

I was short on sleep the first time I saw this and missed a lot. For shame! But your analysis is quite right, the funny bits were really freakin' funny. Glad to see this film is getting around.

chrisallison said...

The first one is great! It won't disappoint!

Perica and Toshke said...

The first is also great.
I've watched a lot of good old and new French comedies.

Few days ago I saw Le serpent /its thriller, not comedy or animations/.it is very interesting

Matt J said...

I discovered Jean Dujardin while living in France working for Bibo. He has terrific screen presence. I also discovered Le Magnifique starring Belmondo-Dujardin in the OSS films is like a modern equivalent.

Will Finn said...

Dujardin is remarkably funny-a true original. I will check out the first one and also THE SERPENT--thanks for the recommendations!

Perica and Toshke said...

With pleasure.
I much more recomend to you their comedies or adventure.
Thriler and drama is still thriler and drama.
Teodor

Steven M. said...

Sounds interesting. I'll give a watch sometime.

Elliot Cowan said...

A Town Called Panic is my favorite animated film in years.
It really does embrace animation as a medium more than so many other bigger films.

Li-An said...

I've just looked at the first yesterday. It was the second time I watched it and I was laughing again. There are a lot of funny dialogs only for french audience but you are right, the work on the color, the background and the spirit of the period is truly marvellous. In the first movie, you've got a scene with a dance and all people are very well dressed: they look physically as people of the 50's and not modern people costumed as if. Very impressive.