Thursday, November 11, 2010

Weird, creepy and kinda cool (possibly)

I love Japan but I confess I am not typically a fan of Anime. Nor of Mo-cap CGI (from any country), but united together and projected as a hologram I have to admit they both held my attention in this video. HATSUNE MIKU is an entirely un-real performer who nonetheless appears onstage with a live band and performs to wildly cheering fans by way of what appears to be a startling holographic projection. I just stumbled across this on a news media blog, where they were clucking about the awfulness of it all, but to me it seems like an intriguing new concept for stagecraft and animation.



I have seen videos of GORILLAZ performing live behind flat screens where giant projections of the characters as CGI animations are shown, but if this really is an actual hologram, it takes that idea a step further. The possibilities are endless and very intriguing. With enough firepower a "live" animated arena show could be done in the round--adding a genuine 3-D experience to a feature length story. Call me crazy, but I think it's ultimately kinda cool.

WHOOPS: UPDATE: A more careful study shows this is probably also a flat projection, on some sort of screen (there seems to be some sort of rectangular scrim around the character). Although some of the camera rotation shots make it look like the CG figure is actually 3D, that may be only an illusion served by a well-timed camera move in sync with the character's rotation. In that event, this would be a much closer cousin to the GORILLAZ experiments in 'live' animation, which I also like quite a bit (but are years old already).

Oh well. If someone has gotten this far, maybe the real [unreal] thing can't be too far off...

5 comments:

Steven M. said...

I'm a little lost fo words.

RIKYU said...

R u sure about that? I think it was comped in after the video was shot.

Will Finn said...

Rikyu: Could be. I never heard of this until yesterday. If it's ALL post-production, then "yawn" really.

If it's actually some kind of live show tho (which is what it looks like to me still), i like the BLADE RUNNER decadence of it. And somehow an entirely synthetic performer is more honest than all the 90% synthetic ones out there already.

RIKYU said...

WOW - apparently it is real!

http://www.psfk.com/2010/11/holographic-pop-star-goes-on-tour-in-japan.html

Bob Logan said...

It's the future! Oooooo-OOoo!