Sunday, May 8, 2011

HIRSCHFELD rarity

Mostly on the mend today and thanks for all the well wishes. In the meantimes..here's a fun picture you may not have seen before... Years ago in my quest to scare up Syverson drawings, I stumbled across this full color illustration by Al Hirschfeld in the June 23,1962 edition of THE SATURDAY EVENING POST.

The picture accompanies a Ray Bradbury short story called THE PREHISTORIC PRODUCER, about a Ray Harryhausen-type creature animator who channels his obnoxious producer's personality into the monster he has been hired to sculpt and animate. It's pretty minor work for a Bradbury story, but the illustration is interesting as a rare non-caricature Hirschfeld, in color too, acrylic I suspect.

This issue only had a few tiny Syversons, which I'll scan and post later...

5 comments:

Mike said...

My mind is blown in a "hey, that totally works!" kind of way, even more than when I saw Milt Gross's characters animated in Jitterbug Follies. This is gorgeous. Thanks for sharing!!

Malcolm said...

Great find, Will. I've actually seen a few Hirsch acrylics before, but not like this. I was skeptical that this was Hirschfeld at first, till I noticed the face design.

Will Finn said...

It's certainly odd that the famous HIRSCHFELD signature is absent [cropped?]... There's at least one NINA in there though...

Matt J said...

Terrific find Will- I love Hirschfeld's colour work-the Covarubbias influence is especially apparent here. I put some more of his colour work here:

http://mattsmorgue.blogspot.com/2007/01/al-hirschfeld.html

Pete Emslie said...

I've never been altogether sure about what medium Hirschfeld used for his colour work. I suspect it's actually gouache rather than acrylic, but I could be wrong. Has anybody ever read anything firsthand from Hirschfeld himself on what paint he used?