Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Pacific SplendorLAnd (yes another blog)

Way back in this entry I threatened to start posting artwork inspired by my impressions of life in the mercurial Pacific paradise of Los Angeles, following a concurrent pair of early decades mis-spent mostly in the frozen New York State region known as "The Finger Lakes". (Despite the charming title there are six of these lakes so the name mystifies me to this day. Maybe it's an Iroquois inside joke.)

After compiling a passel of such non-animation and not exclusively cartoon images, I have decided to launch them on their own blog: "Pacific SplendorLAnd", where they will not interfere with the winnowing but still vaguely animation-related ramblings here.The main thing I have enjoyed about doing these pieces is that they wind up being singular, self-contained compositions, as opposed to quick fragmented doodles on the one end of the spectrum; or artwork created as a stream of storytelling devices, such as a storyboard or an animation sequence on the other. So somehow this makes them want their own blog.

First up is an image that I have fiddled with for nearly two years, after evolving from a doodle. It is not a literal vision of daily life in my adopted home city, but somehow it encapsulates it, in my mind anyway.

So Small Room stalwarts bookmark this new site PACIFIC SPLENDORLAND, and you will have my eternal* gratitude, or failing that, at least another bookmark on your toolbar. *(bookmarking suggestion non-mandatory/eternity relative to variable conditions/your mileage may vary)

4 comments:

Brubaker said...

Bookmarking the blog, Will!

David said...

Bookmarked as well. :)

Mike Pelensky said...

Can't follow it, but I spose a bookmark's as good as a follow. Bookmarked!

Will Finn said...

Charles, David & Mike: thanks! posting more soon. cheers!