Saturday, September 7, 2013

Chinese Mystery Print / Happy Centennial Sheilah Beckett

Lief Peng recently reported the centennial birthday of illustrator extra ordinaire SHEILAH BECKETT. Check out the post, it includes a beautiful illo by the great lady herself and a link to a FaceBook page where her fans can contribute her well wishes. You can also comment on Lief's post as well.

I have been a lifelong fan of Ms. Beckett's and have been happy to have introduced her to readers of this blog. A few years back after her son encouraged me to contact her, I did send her an email and an order for two of her beautiful prints for sale. She was kind enough to answer me back in a nice hand-written note that accompanied the prints....

I currently don't have any new Sheila Beckett scans to post here, but by co-incidence I had lunch yesterday in a Chinese restaurant at Vencie Beach, where the walls are adorned with mid-century cold-war images. This one large framed print has always reminded me of Ms. Beckett's work and though I am sure she and her fans would note the differences, I also see a general sense of mastery in the poses, expressions and proportions of the figures, (all expert) as well as the pleasant color and compositions too.

I repeat, not Ms. Beckett's work surely, but if anybody knows who may have rendered this image and when, I'd be interested in hearing from you...

Happy Birthday Sheilah!

(Thanks Lief Peng!)


No comments: